Cold Chain Consulting is used by companies such as food manufacturers pharmaceutical companies, cool warehouses and cold chain logistics companies who either want to validate their cold chain or who have experienced a problem along their cold chain. A Cold Chain Consultant might be called in when a chilled food manufacturer identifies an increase in product quality issues or if pharmaceutical products fail to arrive at their destination at the required temperature.
Cold Chain Consultants perform on site visits to conduct a full cold chain audit from production and packing through to storage and distribution. The cold chain audit includes:
- Temperature mapping of the storage facility to ensure that the product is stored within the right temperature and identify any “hot spots” or “cold spots” within the warehouse.
- Equipment validation to test that fridges and freezers are accurately measuring the temperature within,
- Calibration of temperature data loggers or thermocouples to ensure that they are indicating the correct temperature,
- Temperature testing of the starting temperature of packing material such as gel packs and eutectic plates, refrigerated trucks and insulated shipping containers.
- Audit of packing standard operating procedures and observing them in situe to make sure they are being executed correctly,
- Review of original cold chain validation methodology and data to ensure there were not flaws in the original data collection.
Cold Chain Reporting
The Cold Chain Consultant will then produce a Gap Analysis to highlight problem areas and provide recommendations for improving the cold chain along with staff training and systems changes.
The cold chain consultant is an independent outside auditor who will identify areas that an internal quality officers may overlook or not think of. They are specialists in their field and with years of experience in problem solving cold chain issues are able to find the route cause temperature variations.
If your business would benefit from cold chain consulting, please contact Lyn Radnell on 1300 266 555 for an initial consultation.